Thursday, April 28, 2011

Painting 60


Still on the Candy kick. This painting came together very quickly for me. I really enjoyed painting the folds of the paper and getting the colors right. The white on the paper is cool with a tinge of gray and the stick is warm. I also added a hint of the background color into the wrapper for a reflective quality. Paying attention to those tiny details is one of the reason I find painting fun. Painting teaches you to look at things in a new way. Our brains love to fill in the blanks and make decisions for our eyes. Training yourself to actually see what is there and not what you expect to be is a difficult journey, especially with warm and cool colors. Color is a beast to master, so I take pride when I purposely use color principles in a painting as I did with the whites. The background puzzled me greatly. I wanted a colorful, fun contrast in keeping with the other candy paintings, and I painted the background a few different shades before I settled on this orange. I don't care for it.  I think it detracts attention away from the subject. The shadow is also an issue. It's too dark and solid and also detracts from the subject as well. My grasp of color theory obviously didn't hold up through the entire painting process, but I never liked Tootsie Pops anyway.

1 comment:

Kay Wyne said...

We need to get you some new candy....this is one of your best. You do pay attention to detail, and it shows in your paintings. Next time I go to the store I will see what is interesting and might be a new painting for you! I was admiring your paintings yesterday at the studio, Grant. You are so talented!